Saturday, March 5, 2011

When it rains it pours

Well...I know I'm supposed to be back tracking and catching everyone up to speed on my past projects, but I had something that will probably happen to everyone at some point so I thought I'd stick in a quick post about that.

The other night...after I got home from work, plopped down on the couch because I was running a 101.2 Deg fever. Alison throws the comforter in the washing machine so it would be clean. We were in the middle of a Netflix movie when we heard a high-pitched whirring noise coming from the laundry closet. First thing to pop to mind was..."great, there goes my bonus towards something I don't want to replace right now." Well luckily it was quite an easy fix. Thanks to the lovely Google I just put in "Kenmore washing machine is not spinning" and voila instant problem spotter. So we lifted up the washing machine and sure enough! The motor coupling was split in half. So here's the nifty link I found:

http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Motor-Coupling/1195967

Instead of ordering the part I ran by Sear's Repair and picked a new one up for $20.61 just because I really didnt want to wait on the part.

So I pulled the cover off (per video instructions):

Then removed 4 clips that held the motor in place:
Then pulled the old broken motor couplings off:
So you can see the old one (right) and the new one (left). So I popped the new one in and put the washing machine back together. It took me all of 25 minutes from start to stop for a grand total of $20.61. This beat's Sears $129.00 (not including parts) and was a very easy fix!

We'll move on to the Master Bedroom wall paper nightmare next!

No comments:

Post a Comment