Friday, March 18, 2011

New Deck - Phase 1 (Demolition)

So I transferred all of my pictures over from the ol' computer and guess what! I STILL cannot find the finished Master Bedroom pictures...I think they may be on my old Blackberry. So if I can find the charger for it I'll try to post those later.

But in the mean time let's move to the best project so far. The new deck.

So let's start from the beginning. When we first purchased the house or even the many times we came out before we bought it. I knew the deck was going to have to be one of the first things to go. There were spots that you could step completely through and rails that you could almost push over.


 No to mention the flower boxes on the end that had rotted bottoms and some where even bottomless. Plus I don't think I could have a deck with very little 4x4 supports underneath and feel comfortable having deck parties.

 So I began taking it apart. I found out that this old deck was made out of Redwood. Some of the planks were in 20 foot lengths...which is pretty much unheard of nowadays. Since some of the pieces weren't too rotted I tried my best to salvage the wood for projects later.


 You can see before I tore the old deck down I did some pre-planning using some masking tape to lay out where I wanted the steps for the new multi-level deck.

 The amount of carpenter ant nests in the old deck was pretty creepy too. Some of my time was demolishing the old deck and other times it was fighting ants.




 You can see in the picture above how rotten some of the joists were.



It took about two weeks to tear down the entire deck, but I was able to save a lot of the wood. The next phase was layout. Which we'll discuss in the next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment